The Elder Scrolls

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Elder Scrolls

Post by CountVlad on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Continued from: http://mnbfallout.forumotion.com/questions-and-requests-f1/story-line-t16.htm

The discussion so-far:

CountVlad wrote:That's what I love about good RPGs. They have a decent back-story. It's probably why Fallout and The Elder Scrolls have been so successful.

essi2 wrote:well, actually Oblivion was just successful because it looks cute Razz

CountVlad wrote:True! Morrowind was far superior as a game.
Now all we need is for Bethesda to make TES5 like Morrowind but with modern graphics...

Sunlessdaysrise wrote:To go alittle off topic, I have to agree that TES5 is going to be outstanding. Not only should it have improved graphics, But with all that's happened with fallout 3 and the fact that Todd Howard said he finally realizes that the models in his games are too "robotic" and don't seem life like. Which will hopefully bring back the feel of morrowind in the aspect of having characters that are memoriable. Also I think Fallout 3 really gave them an outside prospective on what could be improved in Elder Scrolls. Kind of like a modder perspective. If you catch my meaning. They are starting to relate to the regular gamer again. But then again I could be wrong

Last edited by CountVlad on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the previous part of the discussion.)
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Elder Scrolls

Post by Spiritwind on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I havent had the chance to play Oblivion, but I liked Morrowind a lot. However after getting further int he game I got pretty bored. It was interesting for the first 10-20 hours and than... yeah...
Hmm, it seems like a good idea to play it again, I'll have to get it again =p.
Spiritwind
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Shocked You... never... played... Oblivion...!?!
Wow! It's well worth the current price (about $20, maybe less). It's like a cross between Morrowind and Fallout 3. You could say it's Morrowind with better graphics and with the RPG part of it dumbed down, but it'll keep you busy for a few months.
... on second thoughts, don't buy it. You need to concentrate on modding!!! lol.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:17 am

If he got bored by Morrowind, he'll quickly tire of Obliviouse too. Probably just after a few hours.

My main issue with it (apart from it barely passing as an RPG) is that it most of the time looks like something the Carebears would make.
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 am

Haha!!! Yeah, we need a bit of gore like in FO3. Also, I felt that they could have done so much better with the various quests. They had a few interesting ones, but they stood out above all the rest, which is kinda a bad sign.
I think my favourite one was the Dark Brotherhood quest where you had to murder all the guests at a mansion without being spotted by any of the others. That was tricky and (black) comedy gold. I think adding bonuses for completing the DB quests in a particular way was also a good idea.
My other criticism was that they could have hired more voice actors.
But I'm not gonna turn this into an Oblivion bitchin' thread. It's a pretty awesome game if you've never played TES before. It was just a little disappointing that it didn't live up to TES's RPG standards.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waha on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

Mods are awesome in making a game last, and they are heavy gameplay changes, just look at the deadly reflex mod, it refines the combat system even better instead of just blocking and counter attack.
Waha
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:21 am

Hmm... I never tried that one.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunlessdaysrise on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 am

The Deadly Reflex mod is pretty darn awesome. But Oblivion even with mods was nothing compared to Morrowind. I mean in Morrowind you actually felt like the world was alive. Just walking to Balmora from the dock was fun. Walking in Oblivion is hard since you can fast travel at anytime. Fast Travel really in my opinion destroys video games. Those of you that consider fallout 1 & 2 to contain fast travel, I have to strongly disagree with that.
Sunlessdaysrise
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:34 am

I think two of the most pointless features of Oblivion were on-click fast travel and horses. To begin with horses were ok until I realised I wasn't getting any EXP from them. I decided to go back to running so I could level up quicker.
I managed to get a few mods that enhanced the immersion somewhat. Unique Landscapes, an equivalent for cities, window lighting, more npcs, children, cats and dogs, people travelling on the roads, more background sounds, chapel bells, etc.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:15 am

all the things that should have been in the game from the very beginning...
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunlessdaysrise on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:38 am

Agreed Essi, and like I was saying I think Bethesda has really learned what mistakes they have made in the Elder Scrolls series. All from making fallout, I mean he finally realizes that the character models act like robots, as well as the need to have more stuff in terms of items and characters. So maybe with broken steel or Tes 5 will we have a very improved game that harkens back to the days of Morrowind
Sunlessdaysrise
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 am

Let's hope so.
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prince Nuada on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm

Morrowind was one of the first games i started modding, started with scenes, armours, re-textures, landscapes. I loved and 'still' do love that game. I often whack it back on, create a compilation of mods mixed with my own old work and give it a good thrashing lol.

Still, I learned a lot from there, a few friends of mine were really popular with the morrowind series, such as Vality who did lots of trees and new landscape editing and others. Smile

Good old days, sadly I never played Oblivion, I want to but my computer can't run those sort of games Sad
Prince Nuada
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:37 pm

@ Prince Nuada

You've hardly lost out on anything most old games can't give, other then the "pretty" (read carebear-like) graphics. Oblivion is inferiore to most older RPGs in every respect.
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgx50 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:03 am

I actaully bought Oblivian when it first came out but couldn't play it so I just left it in the box and let it collect dust till I bought my new rig back at the start of last year

I never really got into Marrowind to much but then again I never got to far in that game Razz

I remember feeling very alone when playing Oblivian, I mean you don;t have any party members and no one follows you and talks to you

I never felt alone when playeing fallout 3 though, guess thats becasue I was to busy killing mutents and running away when I ran out of ammo to notice Razz

I still remember the first Elder scrolls game that was made "arena" wasn't it ? I still have that in a box some where : P

Oblivan really did need to have more voice acters in the game
I mean they would just use the same 10 voices for the whole game
and there one 100s of charicters that sounded the same Razz
jlgx50
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:03 am

essi2 wrote:@ Prince Nuada

You've hardly lost out on anything most old games can't give, other then the "pretty" (read carebear-like) graphics. Oblivion is inferiore to most older RPGs in every respect.

It's an Action/RPG hybrid with the emphasis on action. That's mainly where it goes wrong, and sadly is one of the more difficult/impossible sides of the game to change with a mod.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunlessdaysrise on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:07 pm

In regard to anyone with a slow computer and can't run oblivion. Use the program Old Oblivion. The graphics are pretty low but you can still play oblivion. It's just weird things like the waters purple and stuff like that. Another thing about Oblivion is that the dungeons all seemed the same. even most mod created ones. Also mods in general for oblivion just weren't up to snuff with the mods for morrowind in my opinon
Sunlessdaysrise
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I've found some really good mods, actually. Try TES Nexus
That's got thousands of the things on there. You have some really big ones like OOO and MMM but you also have loads of little tweaks which, put together, can be a big improvement on the original game.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:54 am

Would be nice to try some of them, but I don't really feel like buying Oblivion again.
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:48 am

No, it's probably not worth it. Lots of the mods on there just make the game what it should have been in the first place.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunlessdaysrise on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 am

Agreed, and it's still like 30 dollars to buy it at least here in america.
Sunlessdaysrise
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daerdevil on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 am

I never made it past Daggerfall. How does Morrowind compare to Daggerfall? I really liked the open ended-ness (it's a real word) of Daggerfall and don't think my computer can run Oblivion anyways.
daerdevil
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by essi2 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:19 am

I couldn't really tell you how they compare, since I haven't spent much time with Daggerfall. But my cousin seemed to enjoy them both.

You can't really go wrong with Morrowind Smile
essi2
Apprentice
Apprentice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CountVlad on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Those bird/bat things are damn annoying, but other than that it's one of the best games I own. I never completed the main story, but the quests are pretty varied and it doesn't nanny you like a lot of modern games seem to do.
CountVlad
High Elder
High Elder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunlessdaysrise on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:51 am

The Cliff Racers or something like that, are what they are called. And yes very annoying but lucky for you and anyone playing morrowind there is a mod that removes them entirely from the game!
Sunlessdaysrise
Senior Initiate
Senior Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top